Administrative Notes and Announcements
- The regular meeting of the Decatur County Board of Elections and Voter Registration was called to order by Board Chairman Keith Sellars at 6:30 p.m., and stated that the meeting had been duly advertised in the newspaper, and on the appropriate building properly identifying the meeting date, time and location as required by governing laws.
- Mr. Sellars reported Board Member Gina Burke could not attend.
Board Members Present:
- Board Chairman Keith Sellars
- Board Vice Chairman Beverly Holmes
- Board Member Johnny Brown
- Board Member Dan Provence
Staff Members Present:
- Carol P. Heard, Chief Elections Official
- Tasia Porter, Clerk of Voter Registration
- Margaret Bryant, office staff
- Poll worker Suzan Yates
- Democratic Party Liaison Meghan Hickman
- Board Member Dan Provence made a motion to accept the minutes from the July 14, 2020, regular meeting.
- Board Member Johnny Brown seconded the motion. Motion passed unanimously.
- Board Chairman Keith Sellars reviewed the 2020-2021 budget.
- Update on second polling location of Coliseum polling location
- Chief Elections Official Carol Heard said Georgia Election law allows only one polling location within a precinct, according to 21-2-262.
- Heard said she conferred with State Elections Director Chris Harvey, who concurred with that conclusion.
- Called special election for Nov. 3 on behalf of County Commission on Sunday alcohol package sales.
- Chief Elections Official Carol Heard said the Board of County Commissioners approved a resolution calling for a special election for voter to decide on Sunday package alcohol sales.
- Board Vice Chairman Beverly Holmes made a motion to accept the resolution and go further with the election.
- Board Member Dan Provence seconded the motion.
- Motion passed unanimously.
- Update on forthcoming General Election
- Chief Elections Official Carol Heard updated the board on the election booklet that the Elections Office and The Post-Searchlight intend to work together on.
- She also updated the board on arrangements for advanced voting.
- Demonstration of EasyVote’s Inventory module.
- A scheduled demonstration wasn’t completed because of a miscommunication.
- The representatives from EasyVote held a follow-up demonstration that was recorded and then forwarded to the Board members.
The meeting adjourned at 7:03 p.m.
Did you know that the public can attend Board of Registration and Elections meetings?
These meetings are open to the public by Georgia law. Georgia Open Meetings Act.
Become a Peanut Gallery Volunteer Monitor at our next training on the 4th Tuesday of the month at 6 pm. Sign up Here
Be First to Comment