- Poll worker training begins next week
- Morgan county BOE meetings to remain virtual till further notice
- Concerns of racism in board of elections office
Meeting called to order
- August 20th, 2020
- Letter from the NAACP regarding a request to add more drop boxes
- There are a few typos in these minutes.
- One member would like to review a recording of the minutes before approving them as they do not accurately describe the conversation of one of the items listed.
Motion to table the minutes
Motion to approve the minutes with adjusted spelling
Budget Review (monthly)
Not much expense besides equipment
- The county has started mailing out ballots via a vendor. The vendor will do this for us until October 16th.
- We have added a new drop box(did not specify where)
- The cost for this is about $260
- 14,525 Active voters
- 600 Inactive voters
- We have 45 poll workers signed up for training, more than we needed.
- Training for poll workers will start next week from 9AM – 1PM. It will be Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday
- Two members of the board note that there are reports of racism in the elections office.
- The chair notes this and says put their concerns in an email to him.
- This does not appease the board members who raised these concerns.
- Chair reiterates this is not the time to discuss that.
- A motion is put forth to start in person meetings again in October.
- One member says that she has a medical condition and would not be comfortable with switching to in person meetings.
- Another states it would be highly irresponsible to resume In Person meetings despite the director saying the space is big enough for social distancing.
- Meetings will take place in virtual for now
Did you know that the public can attend Board of Elections meetings?
These meetings are open to the public by Georgia law. Feel free to take notes or record meetings. Read more here: Georgia Open Meetings Act.
Learn more about attending Board of Elections meetings as a Peanut Gallery Volunteer Monitor by attending our next training on the 4th Tues. of the month at 6pm. Sign up Here.