BOARD MEMBERS PRESENT STAFF PRESENT
Darius Maynard, Chair Jeanetta Watson – Elections Supervisor
Joel Hazard, Vice Chair Charlene Maynard – Administrative Assistant
Mike Kaplan, Member Tom Gillon, Elections Officer
Karen Evans-Daniel, Member William Noland, BOE Attorney
Herbert Spangler, Member
- CALLED TO ORDER
Chair Darius Maynard called the meeting to order at 4:03 p.m.
- EXECUTIVE SESSION
- Consideration of a record made exempt from public inspection or disclosure pursuant to the Open Records Act where consideration could not reasonably occur without disclosure of exempt materials in an open meeting, discussion of consultation with the county attorney or other legal counsel to discuss pending or potential litigation, settlement, claims, administrative proceedings, or other judicial actions brought or to be brought by or against the Macon-Bibb County Board of Elections or any officer or employee or in which the county or any officer or employee may be directly involved as provided in O.C.G.A. § 50- 14-2(1); and discussion or deliberation on the appointment, employment, compensation, hiring, disciplinary action or dismissal, or periodic evaluation or rating of a county officer or employee as provided in O.C.G.A. §50-14-3(b)(2); (LITIGATION SETTLEMENT)
On motion of Mike Kaplan, seconded by Joel Hazard, the motion passed unanimously. The meeting went into Executive Session for the items listed above.
- APPROVAL OF MINUTES
- Approval of the Minutes of the April 15, 2021, Regular Board Meeting
On motion of Mike Kaplan, seconded by Karen Evans-Daniel, and carried unanimously, the minutes from the April 15, 2021, meeting were approved.
- NEW BUSINESS:
- According to O.C.G.A. 21-2-540, (B) (2) A special election to present a question to the voters shall be held only on one of the following dates which is at least 29 days after the date of the call for the special election:
(A) In odd-numbered years, any such special election shall only be held on the third Tuesday in March or on the Tuesday after the first Monday in November.
The Other Local Option Sales Tax (OLOST) election will be held on Tuesday, November 2, 2021.
- OLD BUSINESS
- OTHER BUSINESS
- Staff Reports
- Chief Registrar – Veronica Seals
Registration data is accurate as of date: May 20, 2021
- Active Voters: 109,549
- Inactive Voters: 7,038
- Combined Total: 116,587
- ElectioNet Voter Registration Dashboard Processing Report
- Department of Driver Services Applications (DDS): 4
- Online Voter Registration Applications (OLVR): 0
- Verification of Pending Voter Reg. Applications: 2
ii. Elections Supervisor – Jeanetta Watson
Special Election Information
- Advanced Absentee In-Person Voting (3 weeks)
- Advanced voting begins October 12
- Advanced voting ends October 29
- New legislation requires 2 mandatory Saturday Voting Days
- October 16 & 23
- Sunday Voting
- Available Optional (County to Decide) Action will be taken at a future meeting
- Voter Registration Deadline
- October 4th
- New legislation last day to request an absentee ballot by mail application
- October 22
- Regional Meeting will be held at the Board of Elections office for region 6, other regions who want to attend and Board members
- Wednesday, May 26 from 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Legislation for Senate Bill (SB) 202 will become effective on July 1, 2021
- Legal Reports
- Board Attorney – William H. Noland
- CHAIR’S CONCLUDING REMARKS
- Mr. Maynard commended the Elections Supervisor and the Staff for a job well done while enduring through the 2020 Elections. All Board members are in complete support of the BOE staff.
There being no further business, on motion of Karen Evans-Daniel, seconded by Mike Kaplan, and carried unanimously, the meeting was adjourned at 4:35 p.m.
Did you know that the public can attend Board of Registration and Elections meetings?
These meetings are open to the public by Georgia law. Georgia Open Meetings Act.
Become a Peanut Gallery Volunteer Monitor at our next training on the 4th Tuesday of the month at 6 pm. Sign up Here