County Administration Building
Board Chair Melanie Conrad called the meeting to order at 12:01 p.m. The board then went into executive session to discuss personnel and real estate matters.
The meeting resumed public session at approximately 12:30 p.m. Chair Conrad announced that no decisions were made during the executive session.
Vote: Minutes of August 10th meeting approved. Unanimous.
Vote: Agenda approved. Unanimous.
Public Comments: None.
- Board of Elections members attended recent state convention and received 13.5 hours of training credits. Elections process is complicated and the training session was very helpful.
- A poll worker training will take place this Saturday, Sept. 18th with managers and assistant managers being trained in the morning, staff in the afternoon.
- Board of Elections members are available to speak to community groups to explain how elections work in Floyd County.
Interim Clerk’s Report:
- At the poll worker training this Saturday, there will also be an opportunity for future poll workers to apply.
- Preparation of the municipal election ballot has been temporarily suspended while waiting for the referendum language to be finalized.
- New signage is being created that will alert voters to the new location to replace Garden Lakes Baptist Church, which will no longer serve as a voting location.
- There will be 2 locations for Early Voting; the County Administration Building, and the Civic Center. Civic Center will start one week late due to it already being booked for another event(s).
- 2022 Budget will be @ $539,000 total, the bulk of that amount being staff salaries and actual elections cost, anticipating runoff(s). Also, a warranty for new voting equipment is included.
- Chair Conrad adds that Hawkins has been hired for tech support for the municipal election.
Old Business: Covered in Chair & Clerk’s reports
New Business: Early Voting & locations covered in previous reports. Budget covered in previous report.
- Easy Vote is a software product that coordinates with “ENet” to track votes on Election Day. The previous Clerk eliminated Easy Vote but there is interest in using it again “to be sure that numbers add up each day”. Est. cost is $2,500/election. Husser encourages Interim Clerk to have Easy Vote available for upcoming municipal election so the Board and staff can assess its effectiveness.
Election Planning Meeting: Will take place at 11:00 a.m. on September 30, 2021. Public invited to observe. This special session will focus on preparation for the municipal election.
Closing Remarks: The next regular meeting of the BOE is currently scheduled for the first day of early voting, Oct. 12th.
Vote: Change October meeting to Tuesday, October 5th to avoid overlap with early voting. Unanimous.
Q/A: Six precincts will be over for the municipal election. There will be one drop box, located in the County Administration Building, specific site to be determined after seeking to understand the new rules precisely.
Did you know that the public can attend Board of Registration and Elections meetings?
These meetings are open to the public by Georgia law. Georgia Open Meetings Act.
Become a Peanut Gallery Volunteer Monitor at our next training on the 4th Tuesday of the month at 6 pm. Sign up Here