- Virtual Meeting called to order shortly after 12pm
- Observer arrived late for this meeting (12:15p) and missed Public Comment, though it appears that Board Members, Chairman Phil Daniell and Jessica Brooks responded to and answered most questions towards the end of the meeting.
- Approved minutes from last meeting.
- Janine Eveler then discussed the proposed precinct change, Smyrna 02A, which handles 5,417 voters.
- Need a larger facility to accommodate the required number of voting machines.
- This change would be effective for November General Election.
- FYI, the old location was the Smyrna Fire Station, which was a location that was previously noted as not truly ADA accessible.
- The board then asked if there was anyone who wanted to speak during the public hearing time. No one spoke.
- Janine Eveler spoke regarding the request that all active voters in Cobb County receive absentee ballot applications for November election. She would need to seek funding from the Board of Commissioners.
- In the primary election in Cobb County, out of 515,213 active voters, 142,568 applied for absentee ballots and 106,832 were returned completed. This represents 20.7% of voters.
- Janine Eveler obtained three quotes from vendors to handle the absentee ballot applications in November, using 520,000 voters as the estimate.
- Lowest quote was $255,724. This number could be slightly lower because the State handles the rollover list (Seniors and disabled) of approximately 48,000 voters.
- State has already sent out absentee ballot applications for August rollovers and has stated that they will handle November election rollovers. Not decided for January runoffs yet.
- County must handle the rest of the applications, using county staff.
- Jessica Brooks stated that is was confusing to voters as to who is responsible for applications.
- Jessica stated that more extensive communication with voters is key. She wanted to know plans for communication.
- Turnaround time obviously depends on volume, but averages 10 days from receipt by the county to the vendor to the voter.
- To assist with voter registration and absentee ballot applications, the State has a portal for online registration. Cobb County has a portal for online absentee ballot applications, it pre-fills with voter’s information and bar code. Print and sign.
- Active voters defined as individuals who have voted in the last 8 years. It takes 10 years to be moved to inactive list. Voter is removed from the list if they don’t vote in two general elections.
- Dropboxes – currently have 4 in place from primary election.
- Twelve new ones have been received and locations are being scoped out, none confirmed yet.
- Locations must have video surveillance and must be able to store the video.
- Expanded server space needed – cost is over $100,000.
- To reduce lines in November, the machines will be closer together so that more machines will be in use. Less social distancing at the machines, but still social distancing in line and at check-in.
- Several groups, including ACLU, are helping to recruit poll workers.
- Chairman moves to seek funding to mail absentee applications for November 3rd election to all active voters. Jessica Brooks seconds. 5-0
- Janine will submit funding request to Board of Commissioners, to get it on the agenda for the August 11, 2020 meeting.
- Next board meeting will be on August 11, 2020 at 7pm to oversee the run-off election.
- Meeting adjourned at 1:00pm.
Cobb County Board of Elections has called a special meeting to consider two polling place changes for the November General Election. The meeting will be held virtually on Monday, July, 27, 2020 at 12:00 pm. You can attend the online meeting here — WebEX Meeting Registration.
They will be taking public comment.
They are also looking for Poll Workers for upcoming elections.
Did you know that the public can attend Board of Registration and Elections meetings?
These meetings are open to the public by Georgia law. Georgia Open Meetings Act.
Become a Peanut Gallery Volunteer Monitor at our next training on the 4th Tuesday of the month at 6 pm. Sign up Here