On July 15, the Board of Commissioners passed a resolution for the board to hold a special election to fill the balance of the unexpired term of office for District 6 commissioner, Jerry NeSmith (deceased). This requires a call for qualifying the election and to notify the public through the local paper. From 9 am August 3rd – August 5th are the qualifying dates with a $450 fee.
Meeting Notes from Attendee:
Athens-Clarke County special called meeting 7/15/2020
- Meeting called to order @ 1:00 pm
- Reading of Board Member Oath of Office
- Board Members: Jesse Evans, Charles Knapper, Patricia A. Till, Willa J. Fambrough, Rocky Raffle
- Cook: Is Ms.Till here
- Ms.Till: Yes
- This is a special called meeting to fill the commission seat which is vacant.
- The Board of Commissioners passed a resolution for the board to hold a special election regarding this seat. This requires a call for qualifying the election and to notify the public through the local paper. From 9 am August 3rd – August 5th are the qualifying dates with a $450 fee.
- Director Sosebee: “Some things to note:
- The resolution requires a vote to proceed with the call
- If we prorate the qualifying fee it would be $37.50 rather than $450.
- This election would be held in conjunction with the November 3rd election.”
- Judd Drake: Correct if I’m wrong but I didn’t think we could prorate the qualifying fee.
- Sosebee: You are correct. After looking through it we cannot do that.
- Jesse Evans: Is this one motion or should we split this in two
- Judd Drake: This would be two motions. One for the qualifying dates and one for the election.
- The Motions for the Special Election and qualifying dates Pass Unanimously
- Public Comments: None at this time
- Meeting Adjourned
Due to COVID-19, citizens wishing to address the Board of Elections may submit written comments to the Board Members prior to the start of meetings.
Jesse Evans, Chairperson [email protected]
Charles Knapper, Assistant Chairperson [email protected]
Willa Fambrough, Secretary [email protected]
Ann Till, Member [email protected]
Rocky Raffle, Member [email protected]
Did you know that the public can attend Board of Registration and Elections meetings?
These meetings are open to the public by Georgia law. Georgia Open Meetings Act.
Become a Peanut Gallery Volunteer Monitor at our next training on the 4th Tuesday of the month at 6 pm. Sign up Here