Ted Baker, Chair
Bob Lofgren, Republican member
Helen Smith, Democratic member [arrived mid-meeting]
Kathleen Coines-Meyers, County Elections Supervisor
Meeting called to order by Chairman Ted Baker at 5PM.
Motion by Bob Lofgren to adopt the agenda for the meeting was approved.
- Elections Supervisor Meyers reported that the move to the new space went smoothly and provides room for additional voting machines as well as a meeting space for the Board’s meetings which will also be used as an observation area during elections.
- The Board members were provided the State Elections Calendar and it was noted that Greene County did not require any special elections prior to the May Primary.
- Elections Supervisor Meyers informed that the Board of Education and Board of Commissioners had presented a Redistricting Plan to the State Legislature and the office was awaiting approval. No polling place changes are anticipated. A relationship with GIS will assist in determining Districts under the new plan and this is deemed a big game-changer for the office.
- Qualifying for the Primary Elections will occur May 7-11. Each Party will have representatives present and any Independent candidates will be qualified by Elections Supervisor Meyers.
- May 7 is also the first date that applications for mail-in ballots for the Primary Election can be dropped off at the Elections office.
- The office has received many questions from voters who have relocated from other states regarding party affiliation for the Primary and are being advised that Georgia primaries do not allow for party affiliation.
- It is anticipated that the Board will need to approve placing SPLOST on the ballot but the resolution from the Board of Commissioners has not yet been received. A Board call will be held upon receipt of the resolution for this purpose. This election will run concurrently with the May Primary.
- The State is replacing the current Voter Registration system scheduled to launch on March 14th.
- Public Comment: one comment card was submitted but the Chair determined that the comment was not in regard to an Agenda item and thus would not be heard
- Helen Smith made a motion to approve the minutes of the December 8th meeting which was seconded by Bob Lofgren and approved.
- Both party representatives were asked if they had anything to report at the meeting. Bob reported that the Republican Party has scheduled a Candidate Forum including Breakfast on February 12th. Helen had no report.
- Finally, the next monthly meeting was scheduled for March 16th at 5PM.
- Meeting was adjourned at 5:48Pm.
Did you know that the public can attend Board of Registration and Elections meetings?
These meetings are open to the public by Georgia law. Georgia Open Meetings Act.
Become a Peanut Gallery Volunteer Monitor at our next training on the 4th Tuesday of the month at 6 pm. Sign up Here
Be First to Comment